This lively and traditional village has a good choice of over 30 restaurants available, plus a similar number of mountain restaurants in the area. Most offer the usual Austrian dishes but there’s always something different to be found if you fancy a change.
- Wirtshäusl (Maria Alm) – A gem of a restaurant hidden behind the main street, this place has a friendly atmosphere and serves big portions of local and international fare. The cordon bleu is a popular choice, and of course you must try the local schnapps.
- Amelia’s Corner (Hinterthal) – Innovative tapas-style dishes are offered in this modern eatery. The standard is high and the presentation is beautiful, so it’s a good choice for more special night out.
- Gasthof Sonnenlicht – Comforting and hearty are probably the best words to describe the menu here. Choose from a list of homey dishes like goulash, pork and burgers, plus over 50 different types of pancake. There’s even a kids’ play area.
- Almbar (Hinterthal) – A cosy traditional Austrian Hütte serving great local food with a comptempary twist.
- Hotel Eder (Maria Alm) – Culinary art, traditional Pinzgau delicacies along with internationally inspired dishes, even bake their own bread.
- Jufenalm (Maria Alm) – Pinzgau delicacies re-discovered, homemade schnapps
With all these restaurant choices we would strongly suggest booking if you wish to dine any later than 6pm.
- Steinbockalm (top of Gabühel chairlift) – A pair of rustic huts connected by a cool bar and lounge area and surrounded by a panoramic terrace, serving up high quality mountain food.
- Hochmaisalm (Hochmais piste) – Traditional in style, this is the place to come for authentic Austrian fare, including tasty rostis and tiroler gröstl.
This is just a selection of our personal favourite locations, visit the website for many more suggestions.
Nightlife/ Après ski
Maria Alm isn’t somewhere you’d pick for awesome nightlife, but it does have an entertaining après scene. It’s known as one of the most animated villages in the Hochkönig area during the evenings, so you’ll never be out of options.
- Riverside – Located opposite the Hotel Bachschmied, this modern bar has a sun terrace and both indoor and outdoor seating. Whether you’re looking to be sociable, to have a dance or just to have a quiet drink, you can do it here.
- Dengl Alm – Known as the home of après ski in Maria Alm, this bar inside the Hotel Thalerhof is the closest you’ll find to a traditional English Pub. With cool ski and Austrian memorabilia on the walls, fine wines, fresh beers and happy hours, you’ll be dancing along to the music in no time.
- Bachwirt – A small and friendly bar with a sun terrace which holds the daily après party between 4pm and 7pm. It’s located in front of the Bachwirt hotel.