Choose from a very good range of 40 restaurants, offering a great variety of options – Austrian, French, Italian and Asian. Traditional Austrian dishes can be found all over, but there’s always something different to try when you fancy a change.
- Kupferkessel – Located in a former petrol station, this quaint restaurant is popular with locals for its reasonably-priced pizza, pasta, fish and chargrilled steaks. Take away also possible.
- Salzburger Stuben, Salzburgerhof Hotel – The two Gault Milau toques are well-earned. Dishes come out looking like works of art.
- Steinerwirt 1493 “Wirtshaus” – Traditional Austrian hospitality and authentic dishes which include things like cream of wild garlic soup, Roast venison with juniper berries, and the ledgindary Salzburger Knodel.
- Bio Burger – Sample the best burgers in town – freshly homemade with quality beef, lamb, chicken and venison, for a juicy evening treat.
- Villa Crazy Daisy – A lively and modern place with a large menu – steak, pizza, ribs, rice and mouthwatering nougatknödel (nougat dumplings with pumpkin seed crumb). A great Zell am See hot spot.
- Ban Thai – Authentic Thai noodles and curry, whilst surrounded by an eclectic mix of Austrian and Thai décor. Get the spring rolls to start and the baked bananas for dessert.
- Ristorante Pizzeria Giuseppe – A superb Italian offering quality Italian food. Take away also possible.
- Steiner GenussWerk – Fish, meats and pasta, great modern food. Great cocktails at the bar too!
- Schloss Prielau – Schloss Prielau is located in idyllic grounds, just 200 metres from the north shore of Lake Zell. The former residence of writer Hugo von Hofmannsthal’s family was first documented in 1425. Since 1980, Schloss Prielau has been owned by the Porsche family, for lovers of the Austrian hospitality and gourmet cuisine.
With all these restaurant choices, we would strongly suggest booking if you wish to dine any later than 6pm.
Eder Hütte – New to winter 2016/17 a modern approach to Austrian classic dishes.
- Hochzeller Alm – one of the oldest and still one of the best on the Schmittenhöhe. ‘Kasnocken’ and salad is a must!
- Schnapps Hans Alm- At the summit of the Schmitten, enjoy great food with awesome panoramic views and music compliments of DJ Hans.
- Breiteck Alm – A traditional hütte with traditional hospitality and a great choice for a mountain breakfast. Try either the local bacon and eggs or the kaiserschmarrn (local pancake) with plum sauce.
- Pinzgauer Hütte – A destination restaurant, along a windy road with a skidoo too back into the slopes.
- Glocknerhaus – Follow the signposts to this rustic cabin and make yourself at home as you warm up over tasty home cooked food.
- Gletschermühle (Kitzsteinhorn) – High quality classic Austrian cusine
- Gipfel Restaruent (top of the Kitzsteinhorn glacier) – Salzburg’s highest restaurant at 3029m, unique alpine design with 5-star views of Austria’s highest peaks.
- Ice Camp (Kitzsteinhorn) – Presented by Audi, a unique world of ice and snow, a creation of three big igloos. Enjoy cool music, drinks and snacks in an unforgettable location.
- Maiskogel Alm Ranch (top of Maiskogel cable car) – Cosy and informal, grilled meat specialities, live music and even a petting zoo.
- Areit Alm (Schuett piste) – Pick a spot in the homey restaurant or terrace, decorated with warm wood and sheepskins, and tuck into simple but hearty fare.
This is just a selection of our personal favourite locations, visit the Zell am See-Kaprun website for many more suggestions.
Zell am See is home to some truly excellent nightlife and offers many traditional cafés, bars and nightclubs. Après animals will not be disappointed!
- Diele Bar – Always a great atmosphere and welcome. Great music and meeting place for those who have used Austrian Ski School. You can also get bar meals. Terrific pizzas!
- A Bit of Irish – The only non-smoking bar in town hosts live music events during the week, a weekly pub quiz and also shows all major sporting events on the TV – so no more panic over missing the football.
- Villa Crazy Daisy – There’s always a vibrant atmosphere here with live music, guest DJs and roof terrace with heaters and blankets. And with great views of the lake and all the beer you could dream of.
- Gin House – If gin is your thing, you need to come here. It’s got the largest gin collection in the world – 450 and counting – which they make some scrummy cocktails with. There’s also an outdoor lounge.
- Schnapps Hans Alm- Sun or snow, the legendary DJ Hans ensures the party is swinging. Great atmosphere although be prepared to get up and dance!